White Island Tour
Join the White Island Tours crew aboard the luxury cruiser ‘PeeJay’ for a 6 hour adventure to explore New Zealand’s only active marine volcano – White Island.
Sitting 49km off the coast of New Zealand’s North Island, this is one of the world’s most accessible live volcanoes. With the majority of the volcano sitting beneath the sea it means we are able to disembark directly into the crater complex – no mountain climbing required.
Being a live volcano there is little doubt that White Island is home to New Zealand’s most impressive geothermal activity. Visitors are able to get up close to roaring steam vents, bubbling pits of mud, hot volcanic streams and the amazing lake of steaming acid. The vivid hues of yellow and orange resulting from the abundant sulphur on the island make it a photographer’s dream.
Experienced guides will lead you on a two hour exploration of the inner crater, providing a fascinating commentary on the geology of the island as well as stories of attempts to mine sulphur. Along with volcanic and geothermal features, you will see the remains of the sulphur factory which have survived multiple eruptions since being abandoned in the 1930s.
Once back aboard PeeJay there may be time for a swim from the boat before being served a light packed lunch which can be enjoyed while viewing the outer walls of the island where Pohutukawa forests grow and large Australasian Gannet colonies exist.
Our journey home often provides the opportunity to spend time viewing dolphins, whales and other marine life. We hold the necessary government permits to interact with these animals and it’s a great way to end an already amazing day.
- White Island Tours operate 7 days a week, weather permitting.
- Bookings are essential.
- We recommend that children be at least 8 years of age however the final decision rests with the parent or caregiver. The minimum age is 4 years. Please see our FAQs page for more information.
- The tour is very weather dependent. We will confirm with you between 7pm and 8pm the night prior whether the tour is able to operate.
- Check-in is at White Island Rendezvous, 15 The Strand East, Whakatane. Check-in is required 45 - 30 minutes prior to your advised departure time.
- Tour departure times:
We aim to depart at 9.15am. Please Note: Currently we are experiencing very shallow conditions in the harbour entrance we use and as a result our departure time is varying on a daily basis. We will confirm departure time with you the night before your tour.
Additional tours will be added when demand requires - please use the availability calender in the online booking page, or call us to check departure times for the day that you are interested in travelling on.
What to Bring
- Fully enclosed shoes with good grip.
- Warm waterproof jacket
- Drink/water bottle
- Swimming gear is optional in summer
What is Included
- Quality cruising aboard purpose-built vessels
- Professional and experienced crew and tour guides
- 1.5 – 2 hour fully guided walking tour of White Island's inner crater area.
- A light packed lunch and bottle of mineral water
- Safety gear (gas mask and hard hat)
- Permit to land on the island
- Department of Conservation permit to spend time with any marine mammals that we encounter