Boat Crew/Tour Guide (Casual)
If you are passionate about our local environment, love being on the ocean and would relish showing off magical offshore islands to our manuhiri (visitors) from all over NZ and the world, then this position may be ideal for you.
White Island Tours is owned and operated by Ngāti Awa Group Holdings Limited (NAGHL), the commercial arm of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa, whose long-term vision is to create prosperity and sustainable employment for Ngāti Awa members and the wider Whakatāne region.
White Island Tours operates daily tours to Whakaari/White Island, New Zealand’s most active volcano, and Moutohorā, a pest-free wildlife sanctuary. Sitting alongside the tour operation is White Island Rendezvous, a 39-room motel, and our on-site café, White Island Café.
With summer fast approaching, we are looking to fill several on-call casual vacancies within our team. If you are a highly-motivated, organised, outgoing and adventurous person with excellent communication and public-speaking skills - we would like to hear from you!
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Available from early Nov 2019 until the end of April 2020 (or longer)
- Have flexibility with hours and the ability to work early mornings, weekends and public holidays
- Demonstrate an affinity with Ngāti Awa values and aspirations, and have the desire to integrate Ngāti Awa values, culture and language into your work and the business
- Possess a professional approach in dealing with people; relate well with customers and colleagues at all levels
- Have an interest in the outdoors, marine life and/or the sciences
- Be physically fit and energetic
- Previous experience on boats is an advantage
- Ability to memorise and recite facts clearly and accurately
- Exceptional verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- A basic knowledge of Te Reo Māori, Ngāti Awa history and the local Whakatāne area would be an advantage
Please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
CV’s may also be dropped into our office at:
White Island Tours
15 The Strand East
Applications close 5pm, Friday 18 October. Vacancies may be filled as suitable candidates are found, we therefore recommend applying at your earliest convenience.
Applicants must have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.